Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Am I Tough Enough?

Well about 4 months ago we signed up for this little race (challenge) called the Tough Mudder. At the time it really did look like something that would be a lot of fun. Now with only 3 days until I do it- not so much fun.

This is what it says on the Tough Mudder website about this race...
"Tough Mudder events are hardcore 10 to 12 mile obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test your all-around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. With the worlds most innovative courses, half a million inspiring participants, and over $2 million dollars raised for the Wounded Warrior Project. Tough Mudder is the premier adventure challenge series in the world."

Let's just start this by saying I am a wimp- I really am. I enjoy running and biking and swimming but lifting weights- um not so much! I really did plan on starting a lifting program solely to prepare for the crazy things that I am going to be expected to do during this race. Well you know what they say about good intentions- yeah me neither :)
This is what the website this is what kind of shape you are supposed to be in to participate...

"How fit do you need to be? Basically, you should be in good physical condition – complete slackers need not apply. At a minimum we recommend that you are running regularly (2+ times a week, working up to 5 miles per run), able to do 15-25 push-ups in a row, able to bang out 6 pull-ups in a row (especially the dudes), and able to swim 50 yards without stopping (although you can skip the water obstacles)."
 Ok- lets talk about  my fitness- running will be NO PROBLEM for me. I try to run 5-6 days a week and my short run is usually 5 miles so I am good there. I can do ZERO push-ups and ZERO pull-ups. I can swim 50 yards without a problem though so I won't be skipping those- ha!

"We mix up the drudgery with belly-crawling, wall-climbing, mud-slogging, ice-water dunking, monkey-bar traversing, huge slip n’ slides, etc. "

Did I mention I can't climb over a wall and the only way I am getting over it is that my strong husband is doing this with me.

"As we like to say, Tough Mudder is about completing a fearsome challenge and discovering a new sense of accomplishment, not about running your knees into the ground or testing your maximum lung capacity. So while some Mudders are ultra-marathoners and others are super-jacked Rambo clones, most are regular people who take care of themselves and are looking for a true all around challenge, a super fun day with friends, and a goal on the calendar that will force them to step up their workouts."

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear how it went for you after you complete it! I'm sure you'll do completely fine and will have a lot of laughs along the way. By the end of it you'll probably be talking about signing up again for next year. Good luck and have fun with it! I'll be watching for your recap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Can't wait to read your race report. Those are so hard but so much fun from what I've heard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dying to do a TM for years! I think I'm finally going to do it next year at some point. Good luck and can't wait to hear how you like it!

    ReplyDelete